RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Old vlog footage - trash it or post it?

Atolavisuals

Shooting things is easy...the hard part is dumping all the footage and editing it. I've built up a fairly large archive of vlog footage that often times, takes forever to file manage and ends up going to waste because I feel like it's "outdated" by the time I'd post it. 

What are your thoughts about old vlog footage that you've never posted? Do you still work on it, or just move on to more relevant stuff you've shot? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great question!  I used to keep all the footage but then I found I rarely went back to look for old footage.  As I shoot everything for my Vlog in 4K, the files are pretty big and they take up an appreciable amount of room so here is my solution, at least for now.  Once I finish a vlog post, and I've added all the titles, music, etc, then I publish it to YouTube.  Once it's finished uploading and I know it's there, I strip away all the titles, voiceover, music.  I then restore the ambient noise of each clip and export another copy of the finished video.  I keep both of those videos and then I trash all the other footage.  So far so good.  What I found is that sometimes I may need a short clip from an older video (rarely) but if I pulled it from what I uploaded to YouTube, there would often be a voiceover or titles on it and the ambient audio would be gone.  So this way, I effectively keep the best of the edit and with the nat. sound.  I hope this helps you!  pm-r 🙂

It is memory demanding to keep them, luckily not the same for stills. But since they are past due, why not create B-rolls and keep that on the side when you need any. Then dump unnecessary files.

It's productive-procrastination, or a type of it.

good idea! I never dump footage though, I'm somewhat of a hoarder in the digital world lmao

This is a great question!  I used to keep all the footage but then I found I rarely went back to look for old footage.  As I shoot everything for my Vlog in 4K, the files are pretty big and they take up an appreciable amount of room so here is my solution, at least for now.  Once I finish a vlog post, and I've added all the titles, music, etc, then I publish it to YouTube.  Once it's finished uploading and I know it's there, I strip away all the titles, voiceover, music.  I then restore the ambient noise of each clip and export another copy of the finished video.  I keep both of those videos and then I trash all the other footage.  So far so good.  What I found is that sometimes I may need a short clip from an older video (rarely) but if I pulled it from what I uploaded to YouTube, there would often be a voiceover or titles on it and the ambient audio would be gone.  So this way, I effectively keep the best of the edit and with the nat. sound.  I hope this helps you!  pm-r 🙂

This is a great suggestion on workflow, Thank you for sharing! 

good idea! I never dump footage though, I'm somewhat of a hoarder in the digital world lmao

I understand the feeling. I am the same, but can't really speak for videography. Luckily, the costs of memory keeps going down while the quality goes up.

Here is an idea that I just thought of: use old footage that you never used to create a "teaching" course. Something outside the realm of youtube and in the educational space. You get to use it, try some new ideas or tests, and have it generate some passive income on some of the educational websites.