RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Saving our precious moments - cloud or local

Atolavisuals

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ideal is the 3-2-1 rule, but to many it is costly myself included. I use a small local NAS and a synch cloud service that works with my NAS. But until all the files are transferred to the NAS and backed up in the cloud, they are kept in my SD cards and portable external drive.

I highly recommend investing in a solid NAS (Network Attached Storage) system for archiving, backup, and even operations. It's a great way to store files locally but also be able to access them from anywhere in the world. 

I've looked into a NAS system forever. I think it's time to finally take the plunge. Thanks for confirming! 

The ideal is the 3-2-1 rule, but to many it is costly myself included. I use a small local NAS and a synch cloud service that works with my NAS. But until all the files are transferred to the NAS and backed up in the cloud, they are kept in my SD cards and portable external drive.

what NAS do you have? 

what NAS do you have? 

Synology DS1621+. It's a 6-bay and You can increase the RAM and add a cache dedicated memory. Also, You can add a 10-Gig ethernet card for faster connection. The setup for all that has a hefty price tag, but it's well worth it. Seagate Iron wolf 16TB drives are on discount at B&H (almost 50%) which will end on Friday afternoon. This, in my opinion, is a great deal (which I couldn't get since I already purchased my drives months ago).

I've looked into a NAS system forever. I think it's time to finally take the plunge. Thanks for confirming! 

Indeed, me too forever debating a NAS backup but now doing it. from what everyone is saying, this is the way to go. You can still use cloud for low res, but all my raws going into NAS drives/safe storage..

Oh boy...file management is fun LOL just spent a whole day figuring out dropbox. Since we're traveling we're trying to put everything on the cloud but we also had to buy extra hard drives too to have a physical backup in case too.

Curious...why dropbox over google drive? 

• 1 month later...