RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Your go to prime lens?

alpha-jessica-a

If you could only choose 1 Prime Lens to use, which one would it be?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only choose 1 Prime Lens to use, which one would it be?

• FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
    • FE 50mm F1.2 GM
    • FE 85mm F1.4 GM
    • FE 35mm F1.8
    • E 20mm F2.8
    • Other (tell us in the comments!)

Limiting yourself to a single focal length sharpens your “photo-vision” and forces you to look at the world a little differently. It makes you more active as you explore a scene for The Shot. It’s a great exercise that can break you out of a creative rut or just inspire you to try something new.

If you could only choose 1 Prime Lens to use, which one would it be and why?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alpha-jessica-a said:

Limitarsi a una singola lunghezza focale affina la tua “visione fotografica” e ti costringe a guardare il mondo in modo leggermente diverso. Ti rende più attivo mentre esplori una scena di The Shot. È un ottimo esercizio che può farti uscire dalla routine creativa o semplicemente ispirarti a provare qualcosa di nuovo.

Se potessi scegliere solo 1 obiettivo Prime da utilizzare, quale sarebbe e perché?

Se devo limitarmi ad una sola lente, scelgo il 90mm macro perché posso scegliere di stare lontano quanto estremamente vicino dal soggetto. Credo quindi sia la lente, tra quelle indicate, che lasci piú possibilità d'azione.
~
If I have to limit myself to just one lens, I choose the 90mm macro because I can choose to be far away or extremely close to the subject. I therefore believe it is the lens, among those indicated, that leaves the most possibilities for action.

• Like 1

I primarily use a Samyang AF24mm 1.8FE with my Sony 7AC2. The lens case is plastic but has superb optics. It is very lightweight and performs well in low light. 

The mid-century street photographers like Alfred Eisenstaedt and Henri Cartier-Bresson tended towards 35mm lenses. Mobil phones are pretty much defaulted to about 35mm (sometimes 28mm). I find the 24mm is a good contrast to the ubiquitous mobile phone. That said, I usually have a nifty-fifty or a 75mm in my pocket.

Attached is a shot of Mike Kuchar inside a very dark movie theater shot at ISO 8000 1/3 second hand held with the 24mm.

Could contain: Face, Head, Person, Photography, Portrait, Hat, Adult, Male, Man, Beard

Edited by Stuart B.
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 4:56 PM, apurcell said:

For me it's the 20mm. I have the 20mm 1.8 G and use it mostly to capture astrolandscapes as the focal range is great for capture a subject and large part of the sky. 

I do a lot of Real Estate photography and live by my Zeiss FE 4/16-35. There are many cases when it's nice to go really wide. It makes rooms look bigger, and landscapes look vast. I found the trick to hiding the distortion is to look for shots with a lot of curves. But it's hard to justify carrying a very wide prime lens with me; it feels like a specialty lens.

Could contain: Sphere, Spiral, Shop, Shopping Mall, Coil, Accessories, Pattern, Art

• Like 1

Should be the Sigma art 35 1.4 in my case, for probably 5 years already.
I'm using a lot right now the Samyang 24 1.8 for astro. I go A LOT to the mountains, and every single gr I can save to let my back a little bit lighter is a must.
I'm packing like 30 kgs sometimes and, well, that's kind of a lot even for me that I train regularly.
I would love to go all Sony GMs to be honest, but the difference in weight is huge sometimes.

Products Used