RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Test: A7RIII, 200-600mm, Using 1.4 Teleconverter and Crop Mode

aquabluedreams.com

A test with the Sony A7RIII with the Sony 200-600, A7RIII 200-600 in Crop Mode, A7RIII, 200-600 +1.4 Teleconverter, A7RIII, 200-600, 1.4 Teleconverter in Crop Mode. Auto Focus, brought up the exposure a stop for all the images. No other editing. 1082 yards to subject.  Thoughts?

Could contain: Architecture, Building, Transportation, Vehicle, Yacht, PersonCould contain: Architecture, Building, Tower, Person, Landmark, Space NeedleCould contain: Architecture, Building, Tower, City, Landmark, Space Needle, PersonCould contain: Transportation, Vehicle, Yacht, Architecture, Building, Person, Airport, Ferry, Bag, Handbag

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at your photos, I see that the 1.4 teleconverter is working well for you.

I don't see any particular reason to use crop mode unless you won't have the opportunity to crop when editing. Since you've got 44 megapixels to work with, when you shoot in full frame mode, you can crop to suit the composition later.

For context, I use the A1 and FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS, and occasionally, when the light is good, I use the 2.0 teleconverter. I tend not to use crop mode. While crop mode gives me a little more magnification in the viewfinder, it also makes it harder to locate my subject because of the narrower field of view. Also, any camera shake is more evident in crop mode. I prefer to do the cropping in when editing later.

"New" camera showed up A7RV.  Another little test, shot taken from 1.2 miles away.  A7RV, 200-600, 1.4 teleconverter.  One is original pic take at 600m, next is 200% crop run through Topaz sharpen.  In bright light, subject with lots of contrast felt the autofocus with the teleconverter was pretty good.

Could contain: Grass, Plant, Architecture, Building, Factory, Lawn, Person, Helmet

A7R5 600 1.4lr.jpg

Edited by aquabluedreams.com