RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Slow File Transfer Speed Bottlenecks

TrekRover
Go to solution Solved by TrekRover,

Hi everyone, I am encountering file transfer speed bottlenecks and was hoping if anyone has a way to speed up transfer speeds?

Hardware I am using:

• Asus Zenbook Duo UX8406 (2 x Thunderbolt 4 ports (40Gbps))
  • SanDisk Professional Blade Transport with 4 TB (20 Gbps)
  • Sony CF Express Type A Reader Model: MRW-G2 (10 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2)
  • Angel Bird 1 TB CF Express Type A (R: 820 MB/s W: 730 MB/s)
  • Cables: 1 x Thunderbolt 4 @ 40Gbps capability and 1 x SanDisk USB-C 20 Gbps cable

My assumptions is that the bottleneck should be at 820 MB/s (6.5 Gbps) because of the memory card being the slowest link...

However, I am only reaching 45 - 50 MB/s transfer speed on Windows 11 when I copy 1 TB (several thousand files) from the CF Express Type A 1 TB card to the San Disk 4TB

Any advice on how I can speed up the transfer speed would be much appreciated!

Hey Trek, all the specs for transfer speeds are “up to”, never the average. The memory card and card readers are a combo bottle neck. There is always the quality of any tool and you can know it until you test it.

You cannot speed up what you have, but you can replace them with faster equipment. An alternative that I would suggest, is to directly transfer from camera to computer via cable.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 11:33 PM, TrekRover said:

Hi everyone, I am encountering file transfer speed bottlenecks and was hoping if anyone has a way to speed up transfer speeds?

Hardware I am using:

• Asus Zenbook Duo UX8406 (2 x Thunderbolt 4 ports (40Gbps))
  • SanDisk Professional Blade Transport with 4 TB (20 Gbps)
  • Sony CF Express Type A Reader Model: MRW-G2 (10 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2)
  • Angel Bird 1 TB CF Express Type A (R: 820 MB/s W: 730 MB/s)
  • Cables: 1 x Thunderbolt 4 @ 40Gbps capability and 1 x SanDisk USB-C 20 Gbps cable

My assumptions is that the bottleneck should be at 820 MB/s (6.5 Gbps) because of the memory card being the slowest link...

However, I am only reaching 45 - 50 MB/s transfer speed on Windows 11 when I copy 1 TB (several thousand files) from the CF Express Type A 1 TB card to the San Disk 4TB

Any advice on how I can speed up the transfer speed would be much appreciated!

Hey Trek, how are you doing?
I was experiencing something similar so I decided to buy a Lexar card reader. Best thing I did in years. The model is Lexar Professional Multi-Card 3-in-1 USB 3.1 LRW500URBAMZN.
I mean, I transfer 128gb in seconds.
Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 8:49 PM, LensBrew said:

Hey Trek, all the specs for transfer speeds are “up to”, never the average. The memory card and card readers are a combo bottle neck. There is always the quality of any tool and you can know it until you test it.

You cannot speed up what you have, but you can replace them with faster equipment. An alternative that I would suggest, is to directly transfer from camera to computer via cable.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try transferring directly camera to computer. Sadly I don't think there's anything faster... I think I may need to set up the FTP with the ethernet cable 😮‍💨

On 7/14/2024 at 6:55 AM, RidleyScottFan said:

Hey Trek, how are you doing?
I was experiencing something similar so I decided to buy a Lexar card reader. Best thing I did in years. The model is Lexar Professional Multi-Card 3-in-1 USB 3.1 LRW500URBAMZN.
I mean, I transfer 128gb in seconds.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the product recommendation! @RidleyScottFan I will check it out! right now it takes me about 8 hours to transfer 1 TB from sony reader to SSD using my laptop as a transfer medium.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I have found a solution!!! So originally when I was transferring 1 TB of photos (16-17K photos) from CF Express Type A card to an SSD, I was getting ridiculous slow transfer speeds of 30MB/s - 50MB/s.

I found out somewhere along the line, Windows 10 or 11 must have added a sneaky little option for drives to automatically allow contents to be indexed for search!!! If you go to your drive, right click menu on the drive and click "Properties"  and uncheck "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" and hit Save, it will speed up your transfer 10x times! I ended up reaching 500MB/s after unclicking the setting!!!

Could contain: File, Text

• Like 1