RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What's your favorite video editor to use?

Drew_Geraci

There's always a hot debate when you talk to filmmakers about their editor of choice and I'm curious what everyone prefers using when cutting those long-gop formats from the A7SIII/A1 line-up. I was an Adobe guy for almost 20 years but made the switch to Davinci Resolve a few years ago and I've never looked back. It's great to be able to view my footage in real-time and not have to worry about any stuttering in Premiere Pro which for me has seemingly gone downhill in the last 4 or 5 years. It's also great to be able to cut 8k 16-bit footage (from the Venice 2) without dropping frames or having to use Proxies. 

So tell me YOUR workflow and why you like it 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

For game editing, the choice of video editor largely hinges on your specific needs and skill level. Adobe Premiere Pro stands out for its professional-grade features, offering comprehensive editing tools, color correction, and seamless integration with other Adobe software, making it ideal for detailed and advanced projects. If you're using macOS, Final Cut Pro X is a high-performance option with an intuitive interface, perfect for quick edits and managing large amounts of footage. DaVinci Resolve, renowned for its color grading prowess, also provides robust editing capabilities and offers a powerful free version for budget-conscious users. Sony Vegas Pro is another user-friendly choice, favored by many YouTubers and gaming content creators for its balance of features and simplicity. For beginners, HitFilm Express offers a free and versatile platform, excellent for basic to advanced editing, including special effects. Lightworks, while free, caters to more experienced users with its professional-grade tools. Lastly, Avid Media Composer, a staple in professional film and TV industries, is ideal for large and complex editing tasks, though it comes with a steeper learning curve. Each of these editors brings unique strengths to the table, catering to different aspects of game editing from basic cuts to complex visual effects and color grading.

I like DaVinci Resolve for video editing. It's easy to use and fairly intuitive. The color grading tools are especially nice. There is a free version that has more than enough tools for most editing projects. The paid version (which is very reasonably priced in my opinion) includes more specialized tools and creative effects.

FCP all the way! Been using everything under the sun for 30 years and nothing has made editing a joy like FCP. Stability, speed and an interface that disappears from your mind. Excellent integration with Motion to give realtime animation. Just finished editing a full length feature on my MacBook Pro. Working with RAW 5K files. It was a dream! Boggles my mind what can be achieved on modern laptops.

• 2 months later...

I love FCP too as it takes full advantage of my M2 Airbook processor and my M1Max Studio machine.  Editing is fast and doing multi-camera edits using audio to sync has been my go-to for years now.  I know that REsolve is best for Color grading but I don't do much of that so I just turn on S-Cinetone on all my cameras and shoot.