RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

24 GM as a Macro Lens? I think I like it!

CarolineJensen

Wide angle lenses are usually purchased for the big picture....landscapes, astro and the like. I love the close focusing distance! There is something about a wide angle that gives a 'bigger than life' appearance and makes details pop. I'm a struggling botanical photographer in winter in Minnesota. 🙂 I have a few pansies in my greenhouse that are still alive and I'm enjoying the pink blush this time of year. I'm excited to use the 24 more! 

These were shot at f9 and I used an LED mat to light it on my left. 

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Geranium, Petal

Edited by CarolineJensen
  • Like 6

On 12/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, CarolineJensen said:

Wide angle lenses are usually purchased for the big picture....landscapes, astro and the like. I love the close focusing distance! There is something about a wide angle that gives a 'bigger than life' appearance and makes details pop. I'm a struggling botanical photographer in winter in Minnesota. 🙂 I have a few pansies in my greenhouse that are still alive and I'm enjoying the pink blush this time of year. I'm excited to use the 24 more! 

These were shot at f9 and I used an LED mat to light it on my left. 

Could contain: Flower, Plant, Geranium, Petal

Thanks for sharing these images and for the idea. I checked the minimum focus distance of the
- FE 24mm F1.4 GM is 0.24 m (your lens)
- FE PZ 16-35 MM F4 G is 0.24 m - 0.28 m
- FE 50mm F1.2 GM is 0.4 m
Every year my family has an amaryllis competition. This year, my unlucky choice of bulb has not changed in four weeks. These were all shot at the minimum focus distance according to the focus indicator in the viewfinder, at f/7.1, handheld, illuminated with a couple of small, LED desk lamps. 

16 mm (225% crop)
Could contain: Food, Food Presentation, Fruit, Plant, Produce, Fungus, Leaf

35 mm (120% crop)

Could contain: Food, Fruit, Plant, Produce, Food Presentation, Leaf, Fungus, Banana

50 mm (160% crop)

Could contain: Leaf, Plant, Food, Fruit, Produce

Thanks, @CarolineJensen,
This was fun.

Edited by ST
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 9:24 PM, ST said:

Thanks for sharing these images and for the idea. I checked the minimum focus distance of the
- FE 24mm F1.4 GM is 0.24 m (your lens)
- FE PZ 16-35 MM F4 G is 0.24 m - 0.28 m
- FE 50mm F1.2 GM is 0.4 m
Every year my family has an amaryllis competition. This year, my unlucky choice of bulb has not changed in four weeks. These were all shot at the minimum focus distance according to the focus indicator in the viewfinder, at f/7.1, handheld, illuminated with a couple of small, LED desk lamps. 

16 mm (225% crop)
Could contain: Food, Food Presentation, Fruit, Plant, Produce, Fungus, Leaf

35 mm (120% crop)

Could contain: Food, Fruit, Plant, Produce, Food Presentation, Leaf, Fungus, Banana

50 mm (160% crop)

Could contain: Leaf, Plant, Food, Fruit, Produce

Thanks, @CarolineJensen,
This was fun.

The lens works awesome here!! Amaryllis are stinkers! I can never seem to get them to bloom when I want them to! 😂