RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Yellowstone has given me long lens envy.....

Just back from Yellowstone and we had a great time.  Other trips now on the docket; Alaska, Tetons, etc…

This trip was about trying to see and yes photograph, bear and wolf cubs.  In Yellowstone you “have” to keep 100yrds from all the predators.     I use the Sony 200-600mm and Sony A7RIII.  We had some closer encounters with bears but wolves were typically well over 100yrds away.  See attached photos: the first being at 600mm, one 100% crop and one at 200% crop.  All heavily processed.  

90% of the time the 200-600mm works great for me.  But…..what are options to get more reach?

1.        600mm f4 lens with teleconverter.  Sorry $13000 is not possible

2.        Sony a6700 + 200-600mm for additional crop

3.        Sell everything Sony and go with OM-1 System.   Based on going with the $6000 150-400 lens.  After ebaying all the Sony Stuff still need $5k

4.        Digiscope, with DSLR attachment.  Wide range of cost depending on scope chosen.  

Your thoughts, options I have missed?

Could contain: Animal, Bear, Mammal, Wildlife, Coyote, Grass, Canine, Dog, Red Wolf, Outdoors

Could contain: Animal, Coyote, Mammal, Canine, Dog, Pet, Bear, Wildlife, Red Wolf, Wolf

Could contain: Ground, Plant, Vegetation, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Grass

• Like 3

• aquabluedreams.com changed the title to Yellowstone has given me long lens envy.....

Recently, I went through some of the same focal length envy recently myself. I have a 100-400mm GM which is an awesome lens, but sometimes I want some extra reach. I don't have a 70-200mm so if I moved to a 200-600mm I'd lose the 100mm-200mm range which I don't want to do. Instead, I settled on the 2X teleconverter. It gives me a 200-800mm which I can quickly convert back to 100-400 by taking off the teleconverter. There's always a tradeoff and the maximum aperture is reduced with the teleconverter, but because I don't need the extra reach all that often, it's an easy tradeoff for me to make.

IMO, switching to an MFT system for extra reach is a bit of an illusion. The smaller sensor's "crop factor" makes it appear that you get extra focal length, but it's really just the proportion of the frame vis a vis the subject that changes. Personally, I prefer a high-resolution, full-frame sensor that I have the option to crop to something like an MFT size if necessary. Cameras like the A7R V and A7CR are incredibly versatile in this regard. 

M4/3 trade off is the increased noise and as you mention less flexibility to crop photos.  As I am going through the Yellowstone photos to "fill the frame" with the wolf, coyote, bear, etc...I am having to do 200% crops and heavily processing the photos.  Many are fine for our family youtube show, lol, but to me the processing is obvious and they look "fake".   Maybe I will win the lottery and I can get the 600mm lens and a sherpa to pack it around.

On 6/5/2024 at 10:32 AM, aquabluedreams.com said:

Its and option, but it bugs me to possibly spends thousands of dollars over 2-3 trips.....Couple more with the 200-600mm

Of course, it is always a cost benefit analysis. If you can make enough additional revenue with the longer lenses to cover the cost of rental or purchase then it is a no brainer.

It is similar for me with the 600/4. I'd love to have one in the closet, but there just aren't enough times per year when it would really come in handy over the 400/2.8 and it definitely wouldn't allow me to book assignments I'm not already getting with the gear I have.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, in the end I have decided to sell my A7 III and purchase the A7RV and take advantage of the ability to crop to fill the frame.  I will probably buy the 1.4 tele to use with the 200-600 even though some feel the autofocus is less than perfect.  On those rare occasions I can alway go "old school" and manually focus, lol.

• 2 months later...

You will love Alaska!!!  Just returned from there.  I was in Yellowstone last year with my A1 and 200-600 lens and for the most part that combo worked.  Other than a few eagles nothing was too far away from me.  In Alaska I only took my A1 with the 300mm lens and 2x teleconverter as I had to pack light to be on bush planes.  I would've loved a 400mm but that is so out of my budget LOL  

Envious you got the wolves! I was always too late for them.

Could contain: Animal, Bison, Mammal, Wildlife, Buffalo, Cattle, Cow, Livestock, Bull

Could contain: Animal, Deer, Mammal, Wildlife, Antelope, Impala

• Like 1

I will get to test new gear on some hikes in the coming weeks and our road trip to the Tetons in late September to capture the Elk rut.  Been busy selling gear on eBay, lol and now will go out with...A7RV, Sony 200-600, Sony 1.4 teleconverter, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG DN OS, Sigma 24-70 DG DN Art II, Sony 12-24mm f/4 and 7Artisans 9mm. 

In the end buying the two Sigma lenses was just a little more than buying just one of the Sony equivalents.  Yes, I miss out on being able to add a teleconverter to the Sigma 70-200.  Sort of shocking to see it all listed here, really hobby out of control, lol.