RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Astrophotography Photo Challenge

alpha-jessica-a

Have you gazed up at the night sky and captured its wonders through your lens? We invite you to share your stunning astrophotography with us. Tell us about your creative process—from the techniques you used to the gear that helped you create your work.

Each contributor will earn points towards our community ranks!

• Like 1

I went camping in medicine bow, wyoming to try astro photography for the first time. This is a single image from that night. I used an a7rv and a 17-28mm lens @ 17mm.  

I went there after searching on lightpollution.com to find the darkest place within a few hours of my home (Longmont, CO).  

I took many frames and have tried to stack them but haven't been satisfied with any end products as of yet. 

I used photopills for planning. 

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Nebula, Outer Space, Sky, Starry Sky, Milky Way, Tree, Scenery

• Like 1

This was taken in Big Bend, TX. Used my a7riii and 16-35 GM lens. 

Foreground - 16mm, F/3.5, ISO 2000, 30 seconds. Light in structure for maybe 8 seconds during exposure on lowest setting. Shot about 25 min after blue hour. 

Sky - 16mm, F/2.8, ISO 6400, 10 seconds x 10 shots stacked in Starry Landscape Stacker. 

Both blended in Photoshop

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Building, Shelter, Rock, Starry Sky, Scenery, Nebula, Outer Space

Edited by apurcell
not showing up in feed
  • Like 3

On the last new moon this month, my family and I visited our favorite lighthouse, Cape Forchu, in Nova Scotia. We enjoyed watching the sunset and patiently waited for the Milky Way to appear a little after the blue hour. I used my Photopills app to determine where the Milky Way would be visible in relation to the lighthouse. With my Sony a7iii and my 16-35mm F2.8 lens, I was able to capture some of the most spectacular skies I've ever witnessed!

Could contain: Outdoors, Shelter, Nature, Night, City, Road, Street, Sky, Path, Photography

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Building, Tower, Starry Sky, City, Nebula, Outer Space

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Starry Sky, Astronomy, Nebula, Outer Space, Sky

Edited by Katrina Thompson
lens info didn't show up for product used
  • Like 1

This is something truly difficult for me, as an astrophotographer ALWAYS on the hunt for new challenges and places, deciding to post ONE single image, and even worse, considering that I still have one meteor shower to edit...
I'll do my best... and maybe post a second image as well haha.

This image in particular, I call it "Contact".
It was made 2 years ago in France, coming from Italy. I was doing probably my third 360 panorama, and all of the sudden, a HUGE light appeared over the horizon. It was a huge truck.
But the result, at least to me, is incredible. A very beautiful place to spend the night. Having some coffee and learning new skies.

Could contain: Landscape, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Panoramic, Night, Sky, Wilderness

As I said, I wanted to post a second image, I don't know if it's allowed, delete it if neccesary.
But this image is very important to me. Just the title alone is a bit too much.

Nostalgia from the moon, or how I found a memory of happiness in the mountains:

Yep, that's the title of my image ‌‌.
It's a photo that I had in my mind for quite a few months, and even though it is not exactly as I wanted it to be, I'm really happy with the result.

A homage, a tribute, a love letter to my friends, whom I miss with all my being after 3 years in the northern hemisphere.
We did a similar photo in a distant little spot on the countryside in Argentina.
Under a 4 am moonlight, we did a portrait of us with the arch of the milky way behind us, in one of the coldest nights we've been trough.
In theory was our last astronomy hang out, but we ended up going out 3 more times, enjoying coffee and stars alike, like we always used to.
Everyone knew that me and my family had to go in december, so, it was a very strange mix of feelings.
After 3 years in Europe, I'm certain about a lot of things, and one of those is that I miss them tremendously.
The idea for this photo came, precisely, from the portrait we did together.
Every light represents their spirit, their friendship, and more importantly, their support to me and my family. Without them, I would have gone crazy a long time ago...

A combination of 27 single images at F 2, 3.2 sec and ISO 3200.

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Astronomy, Moon, Starry Sky, Scenery, Person, Sky

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have ONE MORE, and this is one that I wasn't truly expecting...
"Valkyries on a red Italian horizon"

Just before returning from a beautiful night, I decided to take a kind of portrait of a group of cows that were sleeping on the mountain with the Milky Way above their heads. They were also blocking my road...

To my surprise, the white balance was all over the place, when I tried to correct it, I got even stranger results and, suddenly, I remembered that a friend told me, pay close attention because there are strong solar storms.
That's when I realized, I looked up and almost died of astonishment and joy.
This is just one of the many panoramas, including 360, and videos that I made.
A truly beautiful thing.

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Sky, Scenery, Landscape, Panoramic, Aurora

• Like 1