RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Your BIGGEST challenge...

Terrywarfield

Honestly, one of my biggest challenges when I first started vlogging was how I looked and sounded on camera. So I want to drop some tips on how to "combat" this challenge as I know some of us struggle with the same. 

1. ACCEPTANCE 

Listen bro/sis, you LOOK HOW YOU LOOK, AND YOU SOUND HOW YOU SOUND. Sure, you can do stuff to "fix" what you may be unhappy with, and I am all for that..but I think step 1 is ACCEPTING that you are YOU! No-one is perfect. We all have flaws, we all have things we aren't happy with when it comes to our appearance. They are all valid feelings.. HOWEVER, you need to ACCEPT YOUR UNIQUENESS (if thats even a freakin word). You are your own biggest critic!

2. PRACTICE

Simply put, this goes hand in hand with #1. The more you see yourself on camera, the more you just kinda "accept" your camera appearance, and after a while, you learn to stop nitpicking yourself, and picking yourself to pieces. So you wanna practice? MAKE MORE VLOGS AND POST THEM, whether you like your appearance in them or not!

3. ANGLES

Yeah yall, guess what. Us "vlogging pros" (I hate even saying that lol), know how to use our angles to our advantages to hide our "imperfections" as best as we can. I wont go into tips here, as to make sure to not offend anyone, but a quick google search of "using angles for photography of people" will lend you a bunch of tips you can use

4. PERFECTION ISN'T NECESSARY!

REMEMBER ON YOUTUBE, YOUR PERSONALITY AND LOOKS DEFINE YOU. People GRAVITATE towards imperfection and authenticity when it comes to VLOGGING. LEAN ON YOUR UNIQUENESS!

5. YOU CARE TOO MUCH

I spoke about this in another thread but want to add some "sauce" to it here. Listen. It doesn't matter how good you think you look, or how bad you think you look (STOP thinking you look bad tho), SOMEONE WILL ALWAYS HAVE CRAP TO TALK. ACCEPT IT! Some people just want to watch the world burn. Focus on the people who accept you for who you are, and not for those who don't. And the ones who don't, WHO CARES! 

I hope those tips were helpful! Drop some below if you have any more. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing with the community. Imposter syndrome can be crippling, especially for those starting out or that have low self-esteem. Gets better as you develop healthy habits. Once you get over that, the down side of the dunning kruger effect kicks in as you learn, you realize how little you know. As you say acceptance is key. Keep moving forward. One step at a time and deliberate practice pay off in the long run. 

Thanks for sharing with the community. Imposter syndrome can be crippling, especially for those starting out or that have low self-esteem. Gets better as you develop healthy habits. Once you get over that, the down side of the dunning kruger effect kicks in as you learn, you realize how little you know. As you say acceptance is key. Keep moving forward. One step at a time and deliberate practice pay off in the long run. 

Absolutely 💯💯