RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

National Geographic Storytelling Grant

bmcdonough

Hey everyone! 

I mostly work as a conservation photographer and the National Geographic grants have been an awesome way to fund some of my projects. The deadline isn't until April but they take quite a bit of work to pull everything together. https://www.nationalgeographic.org/society/grants-and-investments/?nav_click 

Is anyone considering applying for this? What project would you want to do? Let me know if I can answer any questions based on my application experience! 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, bmcdonough said:

Hey everyone! 

I mostly work as a conservation photographer and the National Geographic grants have been an awesome way to fund some of my projects. The deadline isn't until April but they take quite a bit of work to pull everything together. https://www.nationalgeographic.org/society/grants-and-investments/?nav_click 

Is anyone considering applying for this? What project would you want to do? Let me know if I can answer any questions based on my application experience! 

Wow thank you for sharing! This sounds like an amazing opportunity and way to spread awareness on conservation missions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 8:34 AM, bmcdonough said:

Hey everyone! 

Oh wow! Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing. I have had their page open on my browser for months now and you are right, applying can be a daunting experience. I plan to apply this year to try and fund a biodiversity and education project I hold dear. A lot of anxiety going on but one can still try. It would be interesting and helpful to hear how you have been able to get them in the past. 

• Like 1

I totally understand the daunting feeling. Your project sounds great! 

I think it's important to remember to be very clear in your project description - don't assume the reviewers know anything about who you are or your project. And ultimately, I try to focus of driving home three points in my grant narratives: 

1. Why is this project important (this can also include what impact it will have)
  2. Why you're the right person to do this project -- what sets you apart from others? Is it your relationships? Your experience? 
  3. How are you set up for success? - Have you already made contacts and established relationships? Have you done something similar successfully in the past? 

That's the best general advice I think I have - I'm happy to chat more about specifics or answer questions! 

• Like 2