RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Looking for Gear Recommendations for African Safari

kingsranch

I am heading on an African Safari in June (Nairobi, Kenya) and I am looking to capture everything (photos & video). I currently have:

Canon EOS Rebel T51 (body)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm

Canon EF-S 18-55mm

Canon EF-S 10-18mm (wide)

Canon 50mm

From the brief bit of research I've done, my budget will probably need to be 3k-4k for a new body and new lenses. So, that's what my budget is. I'm looking to buy a new body and new lenses because this is literally a childhood dream come true and it's a gift from my family, I want to get the most out of it. Also, from what I'm reading and seeing, Africa is dusty and you shouldn't be changing lenses whilst out, so having 2 camera bodies (if you can afford it) is a must. I am currently looking at the Sony A7 III and a few other lenses that I'm seeing from a few videos I've watched. So, I'm looking for advice on what second camera I should buy, what lenses to go with it, and if I should buy any new lenses for the camera I already have.

Also, another tip I've heard repeated is there being weight restrictions. I know the larger tele lenses are going to be heavier so the lighter the body the better. We are going to Amboseli National Park, Ol-Pejeta Conservancy, Lake Nakuru National Park, and Masai Mara G Reserve. I don't think we will be going anywhere by bush plane but if we do, a lighter body would be great.

• Like 1

You might take a look at the RX10IV it is an excellent 1" sensor camera with a built in 24-600mm equivalent lens. Because it is relatively compact, it would solve your size/weight restrictions. If you want full frame, for your budget I would look at the a7III and a 70-200/4 G.

Have a great trip!

Edited by tonygale
left off last line
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Tony's recommendation. I used the a7III and 70-200 f4 as my first wildlife combo and it was great!

The other option I would consider is the a7III, 70-200 f2.8 first gen, and the 2.0x Teleconverter just in case for the extra reach.