RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Jean Fruth

Could contain: Arena, Building, Stadium, Adult, Male, Man, Person, People, Face, Outdoors

Jean Fruth (@Jeanfruth) is a Sony Artisan of Imagery, visual storyteller, pro sports photographer and founder of a non-profit organization.

It’s our pleasure to announce that Jean will be participating in a text based AMA here on the forums on June 27th at 3pm PT!!

If you’d like to ask a question ahead of the event, post it in this thread and our forum moderators will make sure that they’re posted for Jean to answer during the event. 

• Like 1

Question for Jean on her upcoming artisan discussion...
I, like so many, was drawn to your work because of the AMAZING storytelling you do through photography.  It creates a whole lot of inspiration and instruction for going beyond the action photos (which we also love) to capturing the emotion, the drama of sport, it's sub-culture, and the essence of the human spirit to strive for greatness.

Can you please share how you approach the story you want to tell during a shoot, how you prepare, and create those photos + share the storytellers you feel are your inspiration.

• Like 1

Questions for Ms. Truth

I thought posted this here but apparently don't know what I'm doing. So apologize if you see this x2.

Hello Ms. Fruth,

My name is George. I grew up in a small southern Indiana town during the 50s. Where I grew up baseball was like Friday night football in Texas. Everyone was at the ballpark Friday night and, Saturday day and night. I played the game from pre-kindergarten through the end of high school and then some (American Legion League).

My question is where are you typically located during the game or do you move around the park? With all the equipment (lenses) I can't imagine you move around too much, or does someone watch your equipment while you roam around the park?

I used to shoot studio portrait photography as a  semi-professional as well as some event and wedding photography. I am mostly retired now and mostly shoot as a hobbyist. I primarily shoot wildlife (birds mostly) and landscape with a sprinkling of my grandkids sports photography who range in age from elementary school to college. It's mostly basketball and track & field. Mostly stills with occasional video.

I also go to the local MILB games with my camera and one lens because I typically don't have anyone that watches my equipment. If you had to take one lens what focal length (zoom I presume) would take? I typically take my Tamron Piezo Drive 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 non-VC since it's for Sony camera (which btw I still shoot ILCA 99M2 and 77M2) or if I intend to be stationary I take the 70-400 f/4-5.6 G2. I am reluctantly considering purchasing a ILCE-A7M4 primarily for animal and human eye-AF. I hear it's quite good and my eyes and steadiness aren't what they used to be.

I look forward to your AMA on the 6\27.

Thanks for taking time to read my lengthy post.

Best Regards,

George, aka GEGJr and OP (short for old papa)

Just a couple questions for Jean...

1. I saw your recent video series on B&H and you were using a Sony A1 and A93...can you share your thought process on when you use one Camera over the other?

2. In your equipment mentioned in the videos you did not have a 1.4 and/or 2x TCs...any reason in particular why? I have heard only great things about the TCs on the 300 2.8 so was surprised you did not have at least the 1.4TC so curious as to why not. 

Thanks for all your insight and effort!

Hi Jean 

I love your work and am a huge fan of yours.  I have watched most of the videos you have done on You Tube have purchase your Grassroots baseball book.  I had question for you about what focus mode you use with the A9III.  I shoot Ultimate Frisbee and use a combination of Spot Focus and Zone tracking both with Human Eye subject recognition.  What I see at times is when there is alot of action and subjects, the eye focus will switch from the subject I want to someone else.  Any advice on how you address this or shooting action to keep the focus on the subject you want to focus on in a crowd or with crossing subjects?

Thanks

Alan

On 6/25/2024 at 9:01 PM, Troy Zaboukos said:

Question for Jean on her upcoming artisan discussion...
I, like so many, was drawn to your work because of the AMAZING storytelling you do through photography.  It creates a whole lot of inspiration and instruction for going beyond the action photos (which we also love) to capturing the emotion, the drama of sport, it's sub-culture, and the essence of the human spirit to strive for greatness.

Can you please share how you approach the story you want to tell during a shoot, how you prepare, and create those photos + share the storytellers you feel are your inspiration.

Hi Troy, Thanks for your questions.  Most of my prep for storytelling is before I arrive to the field.  What images do I want to make, what stories am I trying to tell.  Sort of like a "shot list" before a game.  Then arriving early to the venue, I am looking at things like where will the light be during the game, shooting positions available to me and what are my backgrounds. From there I make my lens choices before I start my shoot.  Of course, since its sports photography, stories unfold.  But with good preparation, you are more ready to pivot and tell the story. Please feel free to reach out on social further if I can be helpful. 

Edited by Jeanfruth

20 hours ago, gegjrphoto said:

Questions for Ms. Truth

I thought posted this here but apparently don't know what I'm doing. So apologize if you see this x2.

Hello Ms. Fruth,

My name is George. I grew up in a small southern Indiana town during the 50s. Where I grew up baseball was like Friday night football in Texas. Everyone was at the ballpark Friday night and, Saturday day and night. I played the game from pre-kindergarten through the end of high school and then some (American Legion League).

My question is where are you typically located during the game or do you move around the park? With all the equipment (lenses) I can't imagine you move around too much, or does someone watch your equipment while you roam around the park?

I used to shoot studio portrait photography as a  semi-professional as well as some event and wedding photography. I am mostly retired now and mostly shoot as a hobbyist. I primarily shoot wildlife (birds mostly) and landscape with a sprinkling of my grandkids sports photography who range in age from elementary school to college. It's mostly basketball and track & field. Mostly stills with occasional video.

I also go to the local MILB games with my camera and one lens because I typically don't have anyone that watches my equipment. If you had to take one lens what focal length (zoom I presume) would take? I typically take my Tamron Piezo Drive 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 non-VC since it's for Sony camera (which btw I still shoot ILCA 99M2 and 77M2) or if I intend to be stationary I take the 70-400 f/4-5.6 G2. I am reluctantly considering purchasing a ILCE-A7M4 primarily for animal and human eye-AF. I hear it's quite good and my eyes and steadiness aren't what they used to be.

Best Regards,

Hello George! It is a pleasure to meet you.  I shot a lot of Friday Night Lights, but never in Texas.  I am jealous! If I had to shoot with only one body, one lens, it would be with the Sony A1 + Sony 70-200 2.8 ii.  I like to get to my venue early to find what positions are available to me, where the light is going to be, what are my backgrounds.  Even with all my gear, I still move around during a game.  The reason for my choice, if I had to choose one, is the autofocus, speed of the camera and lens.  The focal range gives me a choice to go tight on action, or loose if I want to show a sense of place.  With the large file size, I can also crop in post and still have a large enough image for all of my uses. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Cairns said:

Just a couple questions for Jean...

1. I saw your recent video series on B&H and you were using a Sony A1 and A93...can you share your thought process on when you use one Camera over the other?

2. In your equipment mentioned in the videos you did not have a 1.4 and/or 2x TCs...any reason in particular why? I have heard only great things about the TCs on the 300 2.8 so was surprised you did not have at least the 1.4TC so curious as to why not. 

Thanks for all your insight and effort!

Hi Dennis, thanks for your question.  It was great to have the opportunity to shoot with both cameras side by side, the Sony A9iii's autofocus is now at the next level.  Tremendous for sports photography.  For the high speed action, having 120fps means you don't miss.  Of course, you don't always need it, but It is great to have for capturing the athlete at their peak moment.  The A1, will always be in my kit because it also has tremendous autofocus and the large file sizes gives me alot of flexibility for cropping in post and still be able to use the files for all of my needs.  I have the 1.4 extender and I do use that on occasion.  Usually with my 400 if I decide to shoot from an outfield position and it works well for that.  We have also been using for video on the 70-200 ii 2.8 to give us even more range to go tight on action, or loose to show a sense of place.  I don't use extenders a lot but the 1.4 I have had good success. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, miar said:

Hello Jean! What advice would you give to aspiring sports photographers looking to make a mark in the industry?

Hi Miar, Nice to meet you!  Lots of advice, but to name one or two, have a great website, portfolio, only showing your best work.  Same for your IG, keep it professional only and show your potential clients that you are ready for the assignment.  Connect with photographers who work you admire and who have similar positions that you aspire to.  I find there are many photographers who are willing to share advice and mentor. 

13 minutes ago, libro said:

Hi Jean! Thanks so much for being here and answering questions today. I'd love to know what was the moment or experience that made you realize sports photography was your true passion?

Hi Libro.  Great question! I was a portrait photographer.  Not because it was my passion, but it was just where the opportunity was to get started as a professional photographer.  I worked for two women who were my mentors and learned so much from them.   I was also still taking classes in photography and working for other photographers assisting them with weddings, food shoots, landscapes.  I had an opportunity to shoot sports for a local paper, after my first shoot, It was so obvious to me, that I wanted to shoot sports.  The feeling I got, the adrenaline, the what what what is going to happen! So exhilarating, to this day! 

Edited by Jeanfruth

1 hour ago, avmil said:

Hi Jean! What are some of the biggest challenges you face when capturing sports events, and how do you overcome them?

Hi Avmil

At big sporting events, photo wells can be crowded, sometimes prime positions are not available and you need to get creative.  Getting to an event early, way before fans are in the venue, is a massive help in getting organized and finding interesting photo positions, looking at backgrounds that are available, where the light is going to be.  Sometimes the challenge is, there are no fans and you don't want to show that.  So you find positions that don't show the empty seats.  Example, finding an "up" position. Cleans up your background and can make impactful pictures. 

54 minutes ago, Jeanfruth said:

I don't use extenders a lot but the 1.4 I have had good success. 

Thx Jean for the insight! I was thinking the 300 2.8 with the 1.4tc (420/4) is my best bet to ever have a 400 prime as the 400 2.8 is just way out of reach and not as versatile as the 300 2.8 with extenders.

45 minutes ago, sowil said:

Can you share your process for developing a narrative throughout your photographs? How do you tell the whole story of sporting events? You always have a wide range of moments in your work that tell a great story.

Hi Sowil.  Thanks for your questions.  If I am shooting an sporting event, one day or multi event, I approach it the same way.  I like to always make a wide, scene setting image to establish a sense of place.  Maybe this is during beautiful light, or a pre-game ceremony.  Usually shot with a wide angle, like my 12-24mm.  Sometime Pre-game shots, showing warm ups or tight on a detail of the sport. Then telling the rest of the story showing the game action, re-action ( re-action of the fans, re-action of the player, or their teammates) Maybe there are great fans, in that case some fan shots, then its on to cheers and tears. The winning team makes a great story, but also consider the losing team can be a powerful story as well.  Using different focal lengths as you tell the story is important, to change up the scale and keep the viewer interested. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dennis Cairns said:

Thx Jean for the insight! I was thinking the 300 2.8 with the 1.4tc (420/4) is my best bet to ever have a 400 prime as the 400 2.8 is just way out of reach and not as versatile as the 300 2.8 with extenders.

The 300 2.8 has been a wonderful addition to my kit.  So many times the 400 is to tight for a venue and the 300 2.8 is perfect.  Great idea! You can also hand hold it, which is a game changer for a telephoto lens! 

• Like 1

Hi Jean 

I love your work and am a huge fan of yours.  I was looking for advice on focus modes you use with the  A9III.  I shoot Ultimate Frisbee and use a combination of Spot Focus and Zone tracking based on where the action is on the field both with Human Eye subject recognition.  What I see at times is when there is alot of action and crossing subjects, the eye focus will switch from the subject I want to someone else.  Any advice on how you address this or shooting action to keep the focus on the subject you want to focus on in a crowd or with crossing subjects?

Thanks

Alan

2 minutes ago, Jeanfruth said:

Hi Sowil.  Thanks for your questions.  If I am shooting an sporting event, one day or multi event, I approach it the same way.  I like to always make a wide, scene setting image to establish a sense of place.  Maybe this is during beautiful light, or a pre-game ceremony.  Usually shot with a wide angle, like my 12-24mm.  Sometime Pre-game shots, showing warm ups or tight on a detail of the sport. Then telling the rest of the story showing the game action, re-action ( re-action of the fans, re-action of the player, or their teammates) Maybe there are great fans, in that case some fan shots, then its on to cheers and tears. The winning team makes a great story, but also consider the losing team can be a powerful story as well.  Using different focal lengths as you tell the story is important, to change up the scale and keep the viewer interested. 

Thank you for the insight! This is very helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Sometimes, it can all be overwhelming. I will keep this in mind as I continue to learn.

1 hour ago, Alan Bloodgood said:

Hi Jean 

I love your work and am a huge fan of your.  I have watched most of the videos you have done on You Tube have purchase your Grassroots baseball book.  I had question for you about what focus mode you use with the A9III.  I shoot Ultimate Frisbee and use a combination of Spot Focus and Zone tracking both with Human Eye subject recognition.  What I see at times is when there is alot of action and subjects, the eye focus will switch from the subject I want to someone else.  Any advice on how you address this or shooting action to keep the focus on the subject you want to focus on in a crowd or with crossing subjects?

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan. Thank you for your kind words and for supporting Grassroots Baseball! I have mostly been using expanded tracking with the a9iii and had great success.  I feel like it has held on to my subject even when other players cross in front.  Give that a try! Please reach out to my further if you would like.  On IG if that works.  

20 hours ago, gegjrphoto said:

Questions for Ms. Truth

Hello Ms. Fruth,

Best Regards,

And George, if I didn't answer completely, please feel free to reach out further!