RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What editing software do you use? is it free or paid?

GoodluckCC

Thought i'd create a post for the search for Post production options!  What software do you currently use? What is your favorite feature? Does it cost money or is it free? I've used Capture One paid and the free Song express option and liked it but sometimes felt too complicated/ not as simple as Lightroom which ive also played with.  

I'm a bit tired of paying a monthly fee and am happy with paying a fee but maybe a onetime fee like Dark room on Ipad. 

Let's hear your thoughts!

@GoodluckCC
When I got into photography last year, I tried the Capture One Express (for Sony) and liked it. I'm more than happy with the new AI masking tool and the other new features they've introduced in the last year. Their support has been prompt and responsive.

I've compared the built-in noise reduction and found it close enough to Topaz and ON1 that there was no need to buy those.

My original plan was to use Capture One for a year and then try Lightroom. When it came time to renew my annual subscription, I read everything I could comparing the two products and decided to stay with Capture One.

As I mentioned, I took a close look at Topaz and ON1 and didn't find anything there that would tempt me to change.

I shoot mainly wildlife, landscapes, and live music.

I'm out with the camera every day (typically 400-1200 photos). I shoot raw, and I always process each day's photos on the same day.

I hope there's something there for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only been at this for about two years, but so far I've used Photoshop, Lightroom and Capture One, and I've played around a bit with Sony Imaging Edge.

I gravitate towards Lightroom because I find it fast and responsive on my Macbook, and I like the results. These programs are pretty intuitive, so I think it mostly comes down to personal preference and how much you plan to use the advanced AI features - plus the Adobe tablet apps are incredible.

Lightroom AI denoise has been all I've needed or wanted so far, so it's where I'm at for the most part.

Enjoy making beautiful photos 😄