RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Community Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Hiya Nicole! Thank you for always providing us with the beautiful visuals that you do! Keep them coming always 🤗🙏🏽
  3. Last week
  4. Following... New here to the group and to big reach. Former Nikon shooter who upgraded 2 years ago to mirrorless when the A7ii went on sale. I realize the body eventually will need an upgrade- but still a great camera. Headed to Tanzania in a few weeks and decided not to rent- but bought the 200-600. Almost afraid to put it on the camera. Going to be a great trip- and look forward to posting some images here.
  5. Great! Thanks again for the opportunity. And so happy you liked my photo.
  6. Hi Mike, I have OM System EE-1 Dot Sight I coupled this with a Sony to Canon Hot shoe Adapter. The set up works well. i am still getting used to using it so wouldn’t like to advise either way. I’ve met a few people who swear by dot finders. Others who had tried to use them had formed habits using the viewfinder, they couldn’t get used to it. As bird photography was new to me I decided it would be worth it as i was all over the place! There is a large birding community on Alpha Shooters.com you might find asking the question there will get a better response.
  7. Has anyone tried the new Manfrotto batteries? Do they bypass Sony's 3rd party battery warning? https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/manfrotto-has-announced-new-2400mah-large-capacity-battery-for-sony-cameras/#disqus_thread
  8. I updated one of my two a-1 bodies from 1.32 to 2.01 with trepidation. The camera is definitely warmer during operation with the new Firmware. AF on flying birds in crummy conditions with the 600 f/4/1.4X TC combo. As I have the 300mm f/2.8, I rarely use the 200-600 any more. Battery life seems poorer as well.
  9. Earlier
  10. Yesterday was the kick-off of the last Sumo tournament of 2024. I had a rare opportunity to be able to attend and photograph first day of the tournament. If you're not familiar with Sumo, "it is a form of competitive full-contact wrestling where a rikishi (wrestler) attempts to force his opponent out of a circular ring (dohyĹŤ) or into touching the ground with any body part other than the soles of his feet (usually by throwing, shoving or pushing him down). Sumo originated in Japan, the only country where it is practiced professionally and where it is considered the national sport." I really enjoyed experiencing the atmosphere/vibe, the process/rituals, and the athletes competing. I took these photos with Sony a1 and 70-200 GM2.
  11. Good Morning. I catch this beautiful Tucan when hiking a pyramid in Guatemala. Amazing
  12. I don't have that answer but also noticed that late notice for lots of events. I'd love to attend more but without some advance notice its impossible as I'm not in NY.
  13. I had to wait about an hour, but finally got these shots of a Bald Eagle flying at 120 fps.
  14. Dear Valued Sony Customer, There may be issues with certain CEA-G series memory cards, where the memory cards are not recognized, or the image does not save correctly in low-temperature conditions. The issue may occur around the lower limit of the recommended operating temperature range (14° Fahrenheit, -10° Celsius). To address this issue, we will repair affected memory cards free of charge until June 29, 2029, subject to the terms and conditions of the memory card's original Limited Warranty. Please visit this like for more details https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00342979
  15. Dear Valued Sony Customer, There may be issues with certain CEA-G series memory cards, where the memory cards are not recognized, or the image does not save correctly in low-temperature conditions. The issue may occur around the lower limit of the recommended operating temperature range (14° Fahrenheit, -10° Celsius). To address this issue, we will repair affected memory cards free of charge until June 29, 2029, subject to the terms and conditions of the memory card's original Limited Warranty. Please visit this like for more details https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00342979
  16. Dear Valued Sony Customer, There may be issues with certain CEA-G series memory cards, where the memory cards are not recognized, or the image does not save correctly in low-temperature conditions. The issue may occur around the lower limit of the recommended operating temperature range (14° Fahrenheit, -10° Celsius). To address this issue, we will repair affected memory cards free of charge until June 29, 2029, subject to the terms and conditions of the memory card's original Limited Warranty. Please visit this like for more details https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00342979
  17. Dear Valued Sony Customer, There may be issues with certain CEA-G series memory cards, where the memory cards are not recognized, or the image does not save correctly in low-temperature conditions. The issue may occur around the lower limit of the recommended operating temperature range (14° Fahrenheit, -10° Celsius). To address this issue, we will repair affected memory cards free of charge until June 29, 2029, subject to the terms and conditions of the memory card's original Limited Warranty. Please visit this like for more details https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00342979
  18. Dear Valued Sony Customer, There may be issues with certain CEA-G series memory cards, where the memory cards are not recognized, or the image does not save correctly in low-temperature conditions. The issue may occur around the lower limit of the recommended operating temperature range (14° Fahrenheit, -10° Celsius). To address this issue, we will repair affected memory cards free of charge until June 29, 2029, subject to the terms and conditions of the memory card's original Limited Warranty. Please visit this link for more details https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00342979
  19. Hi @Dennis Cairns I did speak to an engineer last week at Sony Kando Trip about your suggestion. Fingers crossed!
  20. Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. What I had to do about a month ago to "fix" the problem was: 1. Completely uninstall Sony Imaging Edge Software and all of its components from my computer. 2. Go to "Device Manager" then "View" then click "Show Hidden Devices" 3. This then displays "libusbK Usb Devices" in the left column with all of the other devices. 4. Select this "lilbusbK Device" then “Sony Remote Control Camera” then "Uninstall" this device. 5. Instantly after doing this, tethering my Sony A7R4 in Capture One and Lightroom Classic worked perfectly. But now, as someone using Sony devices professionally, I no longer have access to Sony Imaging Edge and its dedicated functionality for my Sony cameras.
  21. There was a service outage that specifically affected profile photos. This has now been resolved, and your photos look great. That bridge demolition one is something else!
  22. Shimoda Action backpacks are perfect for this. the bottom uses a core unit for your camera gear and an expandable roll top unit for stuff....rain coat, tarp, puffy, coffee gear. Although I am pretty coffee geeky (roast my own coffee) I will grind my beans at home... for a day hike. My good grinder is more uniform than my hand grinder. I use an aeropress and 3d printed a container that fits in plunger for coffee and a unit that attaches to filter that holds extra filters... so the whole setup is very light and compact. titanium cup/pot for boiling water and msr pocket rocket. small can of butane.
  23. Here are some of my first macros and a daytime moon shot. I enjoy the vibrant colors.
  24. Normally I shoot wildlife video with my FX6 and other Sony camcorders, but here's some test footage I shot to check the video capabilities of the A1 for wildlife video.
  25. Special announcement from Sony Kando Trip today! Sony announced the new FE 85mm F1.4 GM II. Let us know your initial thoughts after watching a hands-on video with @MiguelQuiles. Click HERE to watch now.
  26. Over-saturation, and I don't mean over-saturating all the colors so that it looks neon. I mean saturating all the colors and not paying attention to tonal depth, if we have pink flowers in a green field and we saturate both the pink and the green, the image will lack depth because tonally speaking there isn't something that is brighter than the other. A quick fix to this is to turn the image black and white for a moment and look at the contrast. If there is clear distinction between the colors then you are good to go, if not we need to de-saturate and darken one of the colors or saturate and add luminance to another, or both. So in the case of pink flowers in a green field I would saturate and add luminance to the pinks while desaturating and darkening the greens. This is a technique I learned from drawing and it is really helpful to apply to photography as well.
  27. Thank you, Angus. I use a filter primarily as lens protection. I will give it a test run without the filter and see if there is a big difference in image sharpness.
  28. Here, I had a photoshoot. On the left, food photos are denoted with NR shooting setting. On the right, the photos do not have the NR settings. Hope that helps. You should include how your IEDT contact sheet looks like.
  1. Load more activity
  • Upcoming Events

• My Clubs

• Featured Products

• Featured Articles

• Trending Content

• Product Highlight - Alpha 6700

• I will try it on my a7RV later today and see if I can come up with anything!    
    • HI everyone!  I just got the A6700 and was excited to use the focus bracketing for my macro photography, however it seems like whenever I turn on the focus bracketing the camera defaults back to Live veiw mode which makes it almost impossible to set the focus as I usually have a black screen because my f-stop is high and the light in the woods is low. I shoot with flash to compensate for the low light, and usually have the live view mode off so I can see what I'm doing on the screen.  Is there a setting that I can change to have the Live View mode off during focus bracketing? 
    • I think one thing I will say, maybe a hot take, is that I don’t agree with the saying “just use your iPhone.” If photography IS a hobby you enjoy and spend time doing, and you have the means to invest a little in a camera, then there's nothing like a camera with all the buttons and dials to tinker with. That said, there are sooo many beginner friendly cameras. So ask yourself these questions: 1. How much do you want to spend and what is your budget? 2. Do you want a point and shoot or a camera that allows interchangeable lenses? 3. Research camera brands and the ecosystem that you’ll be investing in 4. Do you want a full frame or APS-C (crop sensor) camera? 5. Consider where the photos are going and how many pixels you want (lower pixels=less resolution and less versatility in how it can be used/ more pixels = more versatility and resolution). 6. What are you photographing? 7. Before purchasing - rent your desired camera to see if you like it. My recommendations are: Full frame: Sony Alpha 7C ll // APS-C: Sony Alpha 6700 // Point and shoot: Sony ZV 1-ll // Splurge: Sony Alpha 7 IV // Budget friendly full frame: Sony Alpha 7 ll ALSO! The used camera market is also an option. Just make sure you do your research and get the shutter count before you buy to ensure the camera still has lots of life in it 🙂
    • This is the video I recorded at 7 PM when the sun had already set. The clip was recorded using a Sony A6700 camera paired with a Tamron 17-70 lens. How do you all find the video quality? In reality, when uploading the video to YouTube, the quality did decrease slightly.  
    • This is a video I shot with a Sony A6700 camera using the S-Cinetone picture profile. This is the original, unedited footage. In the video, I used the 18-50 kit lens and the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 lens.  
Ă—
Ă—