RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

What photographers have influenced you?

tonygale

I was first influenced by a fine art photographer, Tami Bone. I love creative photography, but more of my influence has come from 18th century artists than photographers, I guess!

Influence and inspiration can come from anywhere! I'll have to look up Tami Bone!

This is a great question. Lately I've been looking at old photos from the 80's and 90's, mostly the ones that photographed hiphop artist. I'm really being inspired by them these days. The list so far is Jenette Beckman, Danny Hastings and Chi Modu.

On a more modern note. I'm always excited to see what Joshua Kissi, Raven Varona, Dana Scruggs and the team at AB+DM will do next. 

• Like 1

This is a great question. Lately I've been looking at old photos from the 80's and 90's, mostly the ones that photographed hiphop artist. I'm really being inspired by them these days. The list so far is Jenette Beckman, Danny Hastings and Chi Modu.

On a more modern note. I'm always excited to see what Joshua Kissi, Raven Varona, Dana Scruggs and the team at AB+DM will do next. 

I don't know a few of those names, I'll have to look them up!

This is a really good question, I learned so much from

Jason Lanier but these days he is more like a sales rep to rotolight, I liked his work more when he was a sony shooter

Nowadays I like to follow Peter Mckinnon 

Peter McKinnon does some cool stuff

Photographers that continuously inspire me, that I personally don’t know:

Gordon Parks

Terry Warfield

Manny Ortiz

Jared Polin

PMR

Jerry Lai

John Branch IV

Pierre Lambert

Clayton Jones (“know” him, but never met)

Dawn Hester 

Randy Brown

Vanessa Joy

Jeff Bottari

James Reiman (chair of the photography program at my college, but we never met so I included him)

• Like 1

Photographers that continuously inspire me, that I personally don’t know:

Gordon Parks

Terry Warfield

Manny Ortiz

Jared Polin

PMR

Jerry Lai

John Branch IV

Pierre Lambert

Clayton Jones (“know” him, but never met)

Dawn Hester 

Randy Brown

Vanessa Joy

Jeff Bottari

James Reiman (chair of the photography program at my college, but we never met so I included him)

Good list!

• Like 1

The first real... influence in my, I think, it was made by David Mclain.

I actually never heard of David until I saw his video for the a99, "The Calling".

It was such a magical experience, a perfect combination of photography, story, videography, everything was there.

And I had this tendency, still have it actually, of getting up really early in the morning, and at the same time, staying awake up until very VERY late at night, so it was a great combination for me because of the themes and stories of the video.

It was so influential in me that I was desperately wanting to buy an a99, even though it was impossible for me at the time.

A few months ago, I decided to write David on LinkedIn and he wrote me back. It was just a simple greeting, but it was awesome for me.

After aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of this, I can obviously name other photographers as well:

Ansel Adams. After doing a photography course at the MoMa, I got in contact with his amazing body of work.

Saul Leiter.

Robert Frank.

Anton Corbjin.

• Like 2

The first real... influence in my, I think, it was made by David Mclain.
I actually never heard of David until I saw his video for the a99, "The Calling".
It was such a magical experience, a perfect combination of photography, story, videography, everything was there.
And I had this tendency, still have it actually, of getting up really early in the morning, and at the same time, staying awake up until very VERY late at night, so it was a great combination for me because of the themes and stories of the video.
It was so influential in me that I was desperately wanting to buy an a99, even though it was impossible for me at the time.
A few months ago, I decided to write David on LinkedIn and he wrote me back. It was just a simple greeting, but it was awesome for me.

After aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of this, I can obviously name other photographers as well:

Ansel Adams. After doing a photography course at the MoMa, I got in contact with his amazing body of work.

Saul Leiter.

Robert Frank.

Anton Corbjin.

@davidmclain is a great guy for sure!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Art Wolfe

Galen Rowell

Helmut Newton

Mary Ellen Mark (loved her work then met her once while I was covering the Sundance Film Festival)

Neil Leifer. I actually studied his work. Amazing what he could do with old manual cameras. Then one day early in my career I was covering the Olympic Games. I was at the Mens Downhill and the photographer standing next to me started a conversation. I was stunned to see it was him. Super nice guy.

Steve

• Like 3

There were two specific photos I saw growing up that made me want to be a sports photographer. I was looking at sports history book at the library. I saw the historic image of John Madden being carried on players shoulders while holding up the game ball. I immediately looked to see who took the photo, Michael Zagaris. I then found his iconic photo of Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, I was hooked. I have followed his work ever since. Because of Michael Zargaris, I found Peter Reid Miller, which led me to Patrick Murphy-Racey, who, through Sony, introduced me to Jean Fruth. @pm-r @Jeanfruth

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I love this question! The most inspirational for me were, Art Wolfe, John Shaw and Jim Zuckerman. They are nature photographers that got me hooked on photography back in my middle-school years. My Grandpa was a photographer in the Navy during World War 2 and he was my biggest inspiration and really encouraged me to pick up a camera as a kid. Bill Gekas's earlier portrait work was a big inspiration as well and got me interested in using paintings of the Old masters as my major inspiration.

• Like 3