RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Community Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. These are really great @bmcdonough I love the Spring and Summer for macro photography; there is an abundance of colour and insects. Here are a few of my favourites.
  3. Last week
  4. Thanks for sharing. I've held off updating to see what sort of problems might be out there.
  5. For portfolio and showing off your work, and telling stories, I'm a big fan of exposure.co Built from the ground up to be a image-driven site. Super simple to use. Looks great. It's been a long while since I've had time to update mine, but here's what it looks like. https://snvboy.exposure.co/brocation-2015
  6. @tonygale thank you. Ill drop those into my Amazon cart now
  7. Earlier
  8. Hey Brooke! I did get out to photograph the eclipse in Texas. I co-guided a photo workshop with Jennifer Leigh-Warner and David Cook for NANPA. But other than that I've been busy finishing up a Masters Certificate in Conservation Communications. I will be done in a couple weeks and then I can spend more time with the camera. How about you? What kind of cool things are you working on?
  9. It’s unfortunate that there have been no replies as of yet. I just came across your post while searching up the same thing. I have an A7S three which has been a great camera for me for years, truly flawless. But just today I’m out and about, and I keep having the same issue, but with very scary shut downs. I’ve had a few accompanied with super glitchy video displays on the monitor for a split second before it dies. I’ve had a few accompanied with super glitchy video displays on the monitor for a split second before it dies. I’ve had some hefty difficulty getting the camera to turn back on during some of these events. Sometimes power cycling works, other times I’ve needed to remove the battery to get the camera functional again. Makes me very concerned. Makes me very concerned. Usually things like this are caused by a camera issue (firmware, hardware, settings), media, or battery. I don’t have the time right now to start troubleshooting, but I suppose that will have to happen. Really hoping somebody else already has the answer though.
  10. I answered the poll, but it was hard to pick between the three. I think any of the three topics would be valuable.
  11. Let's try this again... The Highly Anticipated Sony a1 and a9 III Firmware Updates Have Arrived https://petapixel.com/2024/04/24/the-highly-anticipated-sony-a1-and-a9-iii-firmware-updates-have-arrived/
  12. For many years, I've had a serious wanderlust. I love to travel, explore, and see new things. I'm also a history buff in the date range of 1850-1950 in U.S. History, so when I got to do a short road trip from Chicago to Missouri and back, I jumped at the chance to see how much of the original Route 66 I could find along I-55 coming out of Chicago. I had a gas for sure! There are places along the route where the new road was placed right over the old one. This is such a spot where I-55 runs right next to Old Route 66. (20mm) While my focus was the road itself, there are many interesting things along the way like Honest Abe reading a book in the largest covered wagon in the world. It's just in a parking lot along Old Route 66 in Lincoln, Illinois, of course. (23mm) Sections of the original road (right) run alongside of the modern and much wider version, but the double yellow and white lines can still be seen. (70mm) The bridges along the Old Route 66 are in bad shape, causing many of them to be closed to vehicle traffic, but you can safely walk or ride a bike along the old original road in hundreds of places. (32mm) Route 66 has changed in its history. There is excellent signage in IL showing you the original road from the 1920's vs. the newer road from the 1940's. This is a small section of the 1922 Route 66 that is no longer in use but has been preserved as, "Memory Lane." (36mm) (59mm) Much of the original road from both the 1920's and 1940's is now overgrown as sections ceased to have traffic since the 1960's or even earlier. (24mm) This is an extreme example of an original bridge from 1922 that is literally falling apart, with its concrete in terrible condition and steel rebar exposed. At the right, you can see the more modern bridge that replaced the original one. (21mm) Part of the 1922 road shows how nature always wins if given enough time... (64mm) A lonely flag pole watches as sentinel over the Route 66 with its rope torn and shredded from too much time and too many winters. (31mm) From 1922 to 1949, Illinois State Police patrolled Route 66 on WWI Harley Davidson Motorcycles. Equipped with Motorola radios, it was advanced law enforcement at the time. These days, they run Ford Explorers and they are everywhere along I-55 as well as Old Route 66. (70mm) (54mm) I had a great time out there shooting these images. it was a grey and overcast day, which always makes it a good time to shoot b&w instead of color. All these images were originally shot in the .HIF format and then they were processed in LR and exported as jpgs. I'd like to shoot the rest of Route 66 in the Midwest as I've worn out most of it along I-40 out West. Good thing I love to travel, right? I'll get it all eventually... My Sony A7CII is the perfect travel camera, allowing me the wow factor of it's full-frame sensor but with a body size and weight more similar to competitors' APS-C cameras. As for the Sony FE20-70mm lens, it's just a great way to go with that massive zoom range. When you shoot in overcast conditions like this, it's easy to over or underexpose, but with the wide dynamic range of the sensor from the A7IV, it's always an enjoyable experience to work the "stretchy and bendy" files.
  13. Thank you all so much for the interest and for asking such thoughtful questions! I'm always happy to talk bees, flowers, and photography so if you think of anything else please don't hesitate to reach out to me via Instagram. So nice talking with you!
  14. Thank you so much, Caroline! That means a lot coming from you.
  15. I love the messaging of storytelling close to home!
  16. Hello I have question, have the A7iv Timecode option like the FX30 by multiport metadata? due the new firmware 3.0, I have the ECM-B1M microphone and the audio is very good, but at today the only way the get Timecode in the a7iv is using de 3.5 input jack.
  17. Thank you for the recommendation Kevin! That Think Talk looks good! I will try checking if they have a hard case version. I reconfigured the packing of the Nanuk and I think it will work... I added in thin wrappers to cushion the lenses. Right now i think it meets international carry on reqs now
  18. A key principle of iLCP's mission is to empower ethical conservation photography -- this means we regularly evaluate the ethics of community involvement, photo licensing, and even wildlife/photographer interactions. In our newest StoryMap, A Light Touch, iLCP Senior Fellow Doug Gimesy explores the ethics of photography with artificial light when photographing wildlife. Following a chaotic encounter with over-lit photography and the little penguins of Melbourne, Gimesy began to consider the impacts additional light could have on certain species. "What I saw that night started me thinking about the impact a photographer’s lighting could have on wildlife – whether using flash in the field or even on captive animals. Having been trained as a bioethicist, I really wanted to make sure I was doing the ‘right thing’." Check out the Story Map here: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/a2132c9f3a3945cc9fdbd8490338c291
  19. Thanks so much for your questions, everyone! I had a great time chatting with you 🙂 if you want to learn more from me, the best place to do that is on my YouTube channel and you can also follow me on Instagram 🤗 Also, if you want to receive my weekly email newsletter with tips and tricks for creators (plus the latest trending Reels audios you can use for your own content!) then sign up (it’s free!) here.
  20. Titel: Rise The ascent of a dipper to its hidden nest. It is nice to see how the young birds stretch their necks towards their father. While the young birds in the picture look rather hidden. The male stands out strongly against the black background. The cropping makes the composition look holistic and shows the dipper in its natural habitat. i appreciate your constructive feedback and am impressed by the many spectacular shots in the community. kinde regrads Daniel Brockner
  21. My wife competes in an equestrian sport called Combined Driving. She has been training hard all winter, leading up to the Live Oak International show in Ocala, FL. This is one of the premier driving shows in North America, and it's been a dream of hers to compete here. My role on the team is to be her personal paparazzi. The media team at the show was kind enough to credential me. I've had some challenges before because I "look" professional with that big white 100-400mm lens and a monopod. All due respect to the real pros covering the action - I'm not trying to compete with them. And we do support them at the shows I cannot attend. And at this event I helped them out and covered some stuff they were not able to. So that's a win-win I think. A Combined Driving event has three phases held over three days. The first is dressage. All competitor drive the same set pattern, and they are judged on precision, control of the horses, and proper gaits and movement in each portion of the test. Accuracy and elegance are the goal, not speed. Prior to the start of competition, the horses are presented and inspected by the show judges and veterinarian to ensure they are sound and capable of safely competing. The second phase is called the Marathon. The team will travel several kilometers over a cross-country course. They will face several obstacles which must be correctly negotiated. There is a minimum and maximum time that the course can be completed in. And each obstacle is timed as well. The fastest through the obstacles is the winner of this phase. It is a test of endurance, speed, and maneuverability. The third and final phase is Cone. You can see this better in the first photo. A course is laid out in the show arena with cones, and each cone has a ball balanced on top. Drivers must complete the course under a maximum time, and are penalized for each ball that is knocked down. Speed and control are of the essence - as well as memory, as they must remember the correct order to run each gate on the course. After the first two phases, my wife was in the lead with "two balls in hand" - meaning if she came in under the maximum time allowed, she could knock down two balls and still win the competition. She has been showing this pair for several years now. There are actually three horses in the team - two mares and a gelding. The gelding rotates in for the marathon phase, while the girls do dressage and cones. The gelding, named Altivo, is a Lusitano which is a breed originating in Portugal. The two mares are full sisters, born a year apart. They are Andalusians, also known as Pura Razs Español, which are a breed originating in Spain. Enough of that sidebar, you want to know if she won! Tears of a winner. Not only did she win, but it was the first time she had a double-clear round in cones with the pair. Meaning, she drove the cones course without error and didn't knock down a single ball AND came in under the maximum time. Giving the hugs in our good friend Cheryl, who rides along as a groom and navigator. Being the driver, my wife Jenni hold the whip - and that is the proper term for the person driving the carriage - she's "The Whip." So that was our big March adventure, and my big photo effort for the month. Photos were mostly shot on an a9 and 100-400mm G-Master and 24-105mm G series lenses. I had an a6000 and RX100 as backups. A Sony Tough Card in the a9 kept up nicely with my excessive use of high-speed drive mode. My wife would stay in Florida for a few weeks of additional training. I took the time to put together a collage of photos to surprise her with on her return home to our farm in Virginia. It turned out great, and I used the CollageWall product from MPix to produce it. https://www.mpix.com/products/homedecor/collagewall I was really impressed with how easy it was to mount on the wall and it turned out PERFECT. And it shipped and arrived several days sooner than I expected. I'll definitely be getting some more of these in the future. It made a great memento of this big milestone in her showing career. Learn more about the Live Oak show at their website https://liveoakinternational.com/ You can learn more about combined driving at https://www.usef.org/compete/disciplines/combined-driving
  22. I used to combine ECM-G1 with my a6700 and ZVE-10, the auto volume function works great with those cameras, just contented G1 with MI-hot shoe, then the volume adjustment in camera will turn gray and G1 will take care of everything. Recently I've upgrade to A7C2, but when I connect G1 to A7C2 on the MI-hot shoe , the volume adjustment in camera still working, I‘m wondering if this means that the auto volume on G1 mic is not working with A7C2 and I've to manage the dB value by myself?
  23. Here's a wrap up of some cool posts you may have missed here in the forums lately! We've had some great AMA's recently! Check out @Cristina Mittermeier's AMA: And @autpops and @NateintheWild's AMA: We also have an AMA coming up with @Katie Steckly next week! If you have any questions you'd like to ask her, pop them in this thread ahead of the event: We'd love to have you get involved in one of our photo challenges, too! We'll be picking winners for some of these challenges soon, it's not too late to show off your work! Or show us some of your recent work in our Photo Dump thread for March here: Thanks so much for being a part of this community!
  24. You can check out @Cristina Mittermeier's AMA here:
  25. I will be sure to support your projects as well!!!
  1. Load more activity
  • Upcoming Events

• My Clubs

• Featured Products

• Featured Articles

• Trending Content

• Product Highlight - Alpha 9 III

• Let's try this again... The Highly Anticipated Sony a1 and a9 III Firmware Updates Have Arrived https://petapixel.com/2024/04/24/the-highly-anticipated-sony-a1-and-a9-iii-firmware-updates-have-arrived/  
    • Thank you Patrick for another great article! Always nice to hear from fellow sports shooters how they are adapting with the new technology.
    • Four Sony Alpha Cameras Get Huge Firmware Updates and C2PA Tools https://petapixel.com/2024/03/27/four-sony-alpha-cameras-get-huge-firmware-updates-and-c2pa-tools/ Doesn't look like all the updates are actually available yet. The firmware site (https://alphauniverse.com/firmware/) shows the A1 as having the update available, but when you click the link only last year's version can be downloaded. I'm curious to hear experiences from those who update right away. With MLB Opening Day tomorrow and seven games in a row, I'll probably hold off for now.
    • The A9III is not going to replace the A1 by any stretch.  Just because its new does not mean that it is better than the A1.  I also purchased an A9III but will keep both of my A1 bodies.  For shooting birds in flight, I feel like the A1 is still the better choice, unless your specialize in shooting humming birds and need to capture their wings in flight.  The A9III was a camera pretty much made for the Associated Press, especially for its use at the Summer and Winter Olympics.  The A1 is still a fantastic camera that can punch in and still offer a file that is just a few mp shy of what the A9III is cranking out.  The answer, of course, is to own one of each!
    • My #1 suggesting is get all the resolution you can! I like to slice and dice my images into many vertical crops and then string them together for social reels. A very pretty and large arrangement is surprisingly boring as one shot on social. By cropping into multiple frames, I can get the viewer deeper into the image. I LOVE my a7R5. I used the IV version prior. Now, if you want to shoot flowers and wildlife, the a9III may be a great choice, but I am more interested in resolution.