RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Live AMA with Niah Aldrich

So incredibly blessed to have your talent to motivate and inspire growth in this community! What is a common hurdle you face when creating and how to approach adapting or resolving it?

TIME! There is NEVER enough time! I want to spend more with the community doing more events, shooting more creative content, being on social media, spending hours editing, learning and watching on youtube for new techniques, traveling, giving my client 110%, managing the studio.

• Like 3

So incredibly blessed to have your talent to motivate and inspire growth in this community! What is a common hurdle you face when creating and how to approach adapting or resolving it?

I love all of it but trying to juggle, and time manage is the hardest. I have to pick and choose somedays on what is the priority

• Like 2

What does a typical photoshoot look like you from conception, to conversations, to shooting, proofing, editing, and delivery? How do you go about the experience for your clients/models and how involved are you with every step?

I'm working on better ways to adapt and resolve some issues this year. Hoping to hire a studio manager to help free time up for more creative content. Also taking a break from client work to focus on creative stuff so i don't get burnt out and can recharge. Breaks are essential and listening to yourself

• Like 2

One last thing that has REALLY helped me is online scheduling, and trying to be as clear as i can on my website with pricing/info/frequently asked questions. So i'm spending less time answering questions and more time focusing on the creative aspect of shoots

• Like 2

What is your goal for the next couple years ?

My goal is to get myself out there more in front of the camera, get on youtube, and really hone more in on lightning and gels. I think this is the next thing that could really push me to that next level

• Like 2

Hey Niah! your work is always amazing and on point, can you tell me a bit about your thought process when pairing outfits with vibrant color backgrounds?

Hey Luis thanks for hopping on! When paring a outfit to a background color i like to think about these few things. Is it a solid color? Is there any patterns or textures that I want to draw your eye too? If it's a solid color my go to is usually monochromatic with the use of all one color it really can pull youΒ into the model.Β 

If the outfit has multiple colors/pattern i'll usually pick one to complement or pop in the background. This really ties you and is very pleasing. I'll often even edit to tweak background to match with the exact tone of a color.

I also LOVE using complementary colors like red and green or green and magenta to choose a backdrop color! Adobe Color wheel is free and is a fun way to help with that!

You can choose a color like the models outfit and than click Complementary, Triad, Analogous etc and it'll show you. This is good practice and eventually you wont even have to think you'll just do!

• Like 1

Can you talk about gear? What’s your favorite setup / What is it about Sony in particular that you like?

My favorite set up for studio is my Sony A7IV paired with my Sony 24-70GM II that usually never leaves my camera body. I like being close and capturing some wide angles at the 22/35mm and than some mid to close up shots with less distortion on the 50mm/70mm.

Can you talk about gear? What’s your favorite setup / What is it about Sony in particular that you like?

For events I'm shooting with two Sony A7Iv's one on each hip with the 24-70 gm II & the Sony 70-200 gm II with this set up i'm able to quickly get a close shot or be able to zoom across the location to ensure i'm not missing a key moment. If it's a super small event than i'll have a 24-70 and a 35gm 1.4

For my outdoor shoots I shoot with my Sony A7iV and primarily the 50gm 1.2 and 35gm 1.4 i love being able to capture more of the environment with with the 35, and the 50 get that nice creamy bokeh but still be close to my subject.

What advice do you have for connecting with other creators/photographers/models/clients, especially now that you've been traveling and reaching wider markets and cities.

Attend a meetup/creative socail gathering It's scary at first for everyone, but it's worth it I promise! Make the push to put yourself out there. I have social anxiety, and it's scary every time but it does get easier. Still not ready message some local photographers/models ask to get coffee or ask toΒ tag along on there next shoot/plan a shoot together.

I think we're all longing for connection. It might not happen right away, but finding someone that pushes you and encourages you in your work that gets you shooting is only going to help! We're all in this journey together, and it's more fun with others.

I know i'll find a meet up happening in another city, and i'll find it as an excuse to fly somewhere new! I've made the best of friends and connections this way. Just have to put yourself out there.

Using local hashtags on your social media is also a great way to get out there and for others to find you! I can't tell you how many people have found me just because I have "Kansas City Photographer" in my bio.

If you haven't already we have a Sony Alpha Female FB group where we post, encourage each other, and have started monthly meet ups! Would love for you to join!

• Like 1

Hi Niah. I don't really have a question but would just love to say that I and your other former professors here at Northwest College are really proud of your accomplishments and the amazing work you are doing. Sony is lucky to have you and I think the connection between them and you is a great partnership.
  • Like 3

Random question do you have a favorite color to work with ?

But I love green because it's basically like a green screen! It's one of the easiest colors to change because we don't have any green in our skin tones. I love living in FL because everything is green and I could have fun and create these magical environments while not effecting the subjects skin!

I've thought about even buying more outfits and green with the idea that i can change it to any color I want later!

I use hue and saturation adjustment layers in Photoshop. Choosing the master slider, you can select only the green, which is super helpful to not change all the colors, which is what you think of when you hear hue/saturation.

• Like 1

Hey Niah! What drives you to keep creating !!??

You guys! What's the point of art if you don't have anyone to share it with. I tell you the community is what always relights the spark for me. The energy of bouncing ideas of each other, and seeing others excited about projects they are doing.

Hey Niah! What drives you to keep creating !!??

Also my clients and my models. There is something about the journey from start to finish with someone. The excitement of planning, then the fun interaction of the shoot, the image preview of "OMG THAT'S ME", and then the final delivery of the edited photos. I love making people feel beautiful!

What would you tell others who are thinking about getting into studio lighting but aren't sure where to start?

For a hands on approach If you have some photographers if your local area that you look up to, and shoot flash I would ask them what they're using, and if they would help you learn. Also attending a workshop can be very valuable. There is also a platform I like to call "youtube university". So many great educational videos explaining the process as well from setting up to in studio and on location. Eli Infante photography & Lindsay Adler are some of my favorites.