RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Katie Steckly

Hey Katie, thanks for being here! I think vlogging would be fun but I always feel so awkward! Do you have any advice for getting over that and being more confident?

Vlogging is so fun! I'll admit in the moment it can definitely feel awkward - but the end result in my opinion is so worth it because you get to re-live your memories for years to come. I'm so grateful to my past self for capturing stuff even though at the time it felt cringey. But okay I've got some tips!

Hey Katie, thanks for being here! I think vlogging would be fun but I always feel so awkward! Do you have any advice for getting over that and being more confident?

Okay my number one rule while vlogging in public is to never vlog standing still. Might seem weird but it seriously helps because you never have to pause in that moment and just have people on the street stare at you while you talk to the camera. You just keep moving and focus on the camera!

Another tip - have a few things in your back pocket that you want to talk about planned in advance. That will also help prevent that awkward pause of not knowing what to say when you pick your camera up.

Finally - I actually find it easier to vlog when I'm with friends than when I'm by myself (I think it's because it feels less like you're walking down the street talking to yourself lol) so if you can practise your vlogging with supportive friends around, that will help get you started!

I actually made a whole YouTube video sharing these tips and more if you want to check it out 🙂