RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

Live AMA with Matt Hernandez

alpha-jessica-a

What’s your go-to lighting setup?

I would say 90% of the time when I’m shooting a single person I only use 1 or 2 lights. If its 1, I like 45 degrees to the side to get Rembrandt lighting. Usually with an Octa L or 24” collapsable beauty dish. If its two lights I tend to use cross lighting and have my edge light across from the key light. Usually

Btw Matt, I've been such a fan of your work for years! I used to watch your old YouTube tutorials, when it was just you & one strobe light. It totally inspired me! #Goals

Thank you! I still use only 1 light all the time! I guess I need to start doing some videos that are very simple using minimal gear more. I feel like people like the simple stuff better than more elaborate setups.

So happy that this will be saved. Have to run. Thank you everyone. So cool to be chatting with Matt. Feel like we are chatting with a celeb! I guess he really is though in our industry lol Have a great day!

Celebrity? Yeah right you must be in the wrong place haha! In all seriousness thank you, that is very flattering. Thank you for coming!

How do you cut out the model so well in photoshop?

Its a combination of a few things…I use the pen tool a lot, but I usually outsource that to a company called Clipping Path Sector. I use the refine edge in PS in combo with a technique I developed shooting on a black background and using the screen blending mode in PS. I actually have 2 YouTube videos that cover that process. Here are the links if you want to check them out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzeQbaX_rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UREaY-xPoD8

How do you make your clients feel comfortable in front of the camera? Especially teenagers.

That one is always hard! Everyone is different so my every day sarcastic funny remarks wont always work haha. You have to kind of read the room and talk to them to figure out what type of personality they have. The key is talking to them about themselves. If you do that and act genuinely interested they wi