RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

For your timelapse, are you planning a landscape timelapse or "just" a solar timelapse? Am I right in thinking if it's a landscape timelapse there would be a LOT of blending? Each partial eclipse image would have to be blended with the totality foreground? Is that totally a manual process or is there a nifty tool that would do that?

For your timelapse, are you planning a landscape timelapse or "just" a solar timelapse? Am I right in thinking if it's a landscape timelapse there would be a LOT of blending? Each partial eclipse image would have to be blended with the totality foreground? Is that totally a manual process or is there a nifty tool that would do that?

I wouldn't blend any! I think it would be cool to do a landscape timelapse that shows the foreground going from full sun to totality and back again and if you blend the foreground then you'd lose all that change.

But we're going to be using an equatorial mount to do a close-up timelapse of just the sun itself since the foreground where we're going to be in Texas isn't suuuuuuper interesting haha

• Like 1

OOOO!!! I didn't even think of it that way! I was thinking about using the filter the whole time, but it WOULD be so cool to show the effect of totality! I'll be MC'ing an event in Maine so that would capture that whole feel! Thanks!

The solar filter is really only necessary if you're shooting up close on the sun, but if you're shooting the entire scene (at say, 16mm) then the sun won't be intense enough to need a filter. It'll be more like a standard daytime timelapse in terms of camera damage (basically none)

Piggy backing on this question - what would be your interval for a landscape timelapse like that? With the difference in exposure/settings between partial and totality, how would you adjust shutter speed/ISO to keep things consistent (since the 180-degree rule is too difficult to maintain)?

Hah! What's the 180 degree rule?

Hey Tyler! Since there won't really be a ton of motion I wouldn't really worry about the 180º rule for the most part, and I'd just shoot it on Aperture Priority (or manually adjust using ISO and shutter speed).

• Like 1

Aperture priority might be your best bet since the camera will automatically adjust the exposure for you all the way through totality so it should keep things pretty hands-off

• Like 1

Gotta love the built in time lapse features on the Alpha bodies - makes things SO easy!

• Like 1

Laura, Like Nate said, it doesn't really apply here, but is more for timelapses with a lot of motion. It deals with getting the settings right to simulate the motion blur you would see naturally with your eyes/with cinematic video frame rates.

@ L'aura - the 180º shutter rule is for video. You generally want your exposure duration to be 50% of the interval between frames. So if your video is 30 FPS then you want your shutter speed to be 1/60s. For timelapses that means if you're doing a photo every 5 seconds then you want a 2.5s exposure

• Thanks 1

Nate if you need an interesting subject in Texas. I'll volunteer ;) ha