RETURN to AlphaUniverse.com
Welcome To Our Community!

Discuss, share & explore photography, video, vlogging and making the most of your gear.

LIVE AMA with Autumn Schrock + Nate Luebbe

Could contain: Nature, Night, Outdoors, Astronomy, Moon, Eclipse, Lunar Eclipse, Sky

Autumn Schrock and Nate Luebbe are photographers who love nature, traveling, the outdoors, conservation photography, capturing epic landscapes, moonscapes, eclipse and astrophotography. You can check out some of their work on their Instagram pages.

In the lead up to the total Solar Eclipse on April 8th we wanted to hear from Autumn and Nate about how they approach capturing Eclipses. 

Autumn and Nate will be happy to answer any questions you have about nature, conservation, travel and astrophotography, lighting, gear and editing.

We’re excited to have Autumn and Nate in the community for this live AMA today. This is a great time to learn and connect with Autumn and Nate on their work, ask questions about how they got to the level they are at today and any tips or tricks you’d like to know about travel, landscape, conservation, eclipse and astrophotography. Please be patient as Autumn and Nate will be typing out responses as questions come in.
  • Like 4

Hi, everyone! I’m Autumn Schrock, a full-time travel, astro, and landscape photographer. I’m a Sony Brand Ambassador and I am also passionate about visual and motion design. You can check out more of my work on Instagram. I’m excited to answer your questions today! The eclipse is almost here!

• Like 3

Hey everyone! My name is Nate Luebbe and I am a Utah based, landscape, wildlife and adventure photographer. I’m a Sony Brand Ambassador and an avid environmentalist and conservationist. You can find more of my work on Instagram. I’m excited to be here today to answer your questions!

• Like 2

Let's start off with a question from socials: Where are you planning to be for the eclipse this year?

We're going to Texas for the eclipse this year! We (unfortunately) are very limited on time as we only have 3 days between projects, so we chose our location based on proximity to home :)

• Like 1

What's the biggest challenge you face when shooting an eclipse?

Since I'm obsessed with timelapses, the biggest challenge for me relates to managing the timelapse. The brightness changes constantly during the eclipse, and then you have to remove the solar filter at the exact moment totality begins, and then replace the solar filter the second totality is over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How would you shoot a landscape eclipse so it's not just blacked out landscape?

Totality photographs really similar to blue hour, in my experience, so it's actually not too difficult! You'll need higher ISO (or slower shutter) than broad daylight, but it's easier than standard astrophotography IMO.

• Thanks 1

What lens are u planning to use for shooting the eclipse?

You won't need a filter during totality but you'll *definitely* want a solar filter for photographing the sun during the partial eclipse leading up to totality (and again after totality)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How would you shoot a landscape eclipse so it's not just blacked out landscape?

I did a landscape composite for the 2017 total solar eclipse that you can see here. It doesn't get darker than blue hour really, as Nate said! I took photos of all of the phases separately and then combined them with this landscape shot in Photoshop.

• Thanks 1

Could you elaborate on your shooting process while using an equatorial mount? i.e. using guiding software or manually adjusting your setting as it progresses?

Hi, Holly! Great question. Luckily the tracker that we use has a solar tracking function. I polar align the tracker the night before and leave it set. Then all I have to do the day of is place the camera+lens on, balance it, and use the remote control to set the tracker to move with the sun's position.

• Thanks 1

Could you elaborate on your shooting process while using an equatorial mount? i.e. using guiding software or manually adjusting your setting as it progresses?

For reference, we use the Sky-Watcher HEQ5 tracker

• Like 2

Oh, and then for settings, adjusting as it progresses as needed. Will need to remove the solar filter during totality as well!

• Thanks 1